Java to use with Minecraft Java editions
If you have come here looking for how to open JAR files for Mod Installers like OptiFine, Iris Shaders, Forge & Fabric, then scroll to the bottom of this article.
With the release of the new Minecraft Launcher, you may want to start defining the Java Executable which the game uses to launch with. This can be done in the launcher itself.
- Watch my video here on how to Upgrade to the New Minecraft Launcher 2021 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKm1ZZd7mBA
- Also Watch my video on how to fix the Forge error (the directory is missing a launcher profile) when installing Forge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KeWDXnNlAM
- And, Watch my video on how to fix errors with the New Minecraft Launcher here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC1VPBt0Fx0
Download Links are at the bottom
For defining a Java version for your installations, do the following:-
Get the files from here:-
- 1.16.5 and lower: Use JDK 8
- Adoptium OpenJDK (Recommended) - https://adoptium.net/?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot
- 1.17, 1.18 and higher: Use JDK 17.0.1
- Adoptium OpenJDK (Recommended) - https://adoptium.net/?variant=openjdk17&jvmVariant=hotspot
- Zulu OpenJDK - https://www.azul.com/downloads/?os=windows&package=jdk (scroll to middle of page for downloads
- Oracle JDK17 - https://jdk.java.net/17/ (unzip file using WinRAR and locate file in 'bin' folder)